The key to growing basil is to keep using it! Regular harvesting keeps the plants nice and full. Pinching the stems encourages tender new leaves and prevents the flowers from blooming. Come July you may have more basil than you know what to do with. We have the perfect solution: make a big batch of Erin’s Pesto.
Erin, who works at our Frederick location, is famous for her fresh pesto. She has shared her recipe with us. It’s quick, easy and delicious!
Erin’s Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil (stems removed)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (you can use chopped walnuts, too!)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- For an extra kick I add juice from ½ of a lemon
- Pulse basil, nuts, garlic and cheese in a food processor
- Slowly add olive oil with food processor running
- Add lemon juice, if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Freeze for up to 6 months.