Plants that provide winter interest are highly desirable in the garden. Berried plants offer color as well as potential food for birds and wildlife. During the winter months, when the landscape is quiet and bare, it is wonderful to see birds and other creatures drawn to your plants. The berries provide a splash of color in the winterscape.
Many plants offer terrific displays of berries. The following list describes some of our favorite plants. All of these plants will tolerate semi-shade, but will flower and produce more berries if planted in full sun.
- Scarlet Leader Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster salicifolius): Excellent, low-growing ground cover; Grows 2' tall and 6' wide; Glossy dark green leaves which turn red-purple in the winter; Great for slopes; Bright red fruit; Drought tolerant; Represses weeds.
- Nandina or Heavenly Bamboo (Nandina domestica): Beautiful semi-evergreen leaves that are coppery to purplish red when new becoming blue-green through the spring and summer turning red in the fall; White, slightly arching flowers in spring; Spectacular clusters of bright red berries in fall; Grows 5' tall
- Mohave Pyracantha (P. koidzumii x P. coccinea "Wyattii"): Spectacular masses of orange-red berries; Lustrous dark green foliage; Masses of small white flowers in spring; Grows 6-10; Excellent focal point on the side of the house or as striking, impenetrable hedge
- "Sparkleberry" Winterberry Holly (Ilex verticillata): Brilliant red fruit; Award winning variety; While it is in the holly family, winterberry hollies lose their leaves in the fall, which shows off their berries to best advantage; Excellent planted in mass; Adaptable to wet soil conditions
- Cranberrybush Viburnum (Viburnum opulus): Incredible flowers and berries; Large, white snowball flowers in spring; Bright red fruit in fall; Lovely old-fashioned shrub; Great for shrub border; Dark glossy green leaves in spring and summer turning to reddish-purple and yellow in the fall ; Deciduous
Plant some of these "berriful" specimens and enjoy their tapestry of color and texture throughout the seasons.